Dental implants are fascinating. This is not only because of them being quick fixes to missing teeth but also because they look and feel like natural teeth. Getting a dental implant in Gilbert will allow you to get as many implant-related questions answered as you want. However, there are many dental implant facts that you still might not be acquainted with.
Placement of dental implants
You can think of dental implants are artificially made and place tooth roots that are shaped like screws. They are made to bond with your natural jawbone, which allows for a sturdy base.
The artificial teeth are known as crowns. They are supported by an abutment that is placed on top of the implant. The reason why implants look natural is that these crowns are made to match your natural teeth in shape, size, and color.
Facts about dental implants
· Ancient dental implants were tooth-shaped shell pieces that were hammered into Mayan women’s jaw around 600 AD.
· Modern dental implants have been around for about five decades.
· American Academy of Implant Dentistry was formed in 1951 when they started practicing successful implantology.
· Dental implants are the strongest devices available for teeth replacement.
· The only restoration dental procedure that preserves the natural bone is dental implants.
· Placing dental implants is the most predictable and safe procedure in dentistry.
· Swedish orthopedic surgeon P.I. Branemark was studying the fusion of different materials to the hip and knee bones in 1952. He switched his research to the mouth because he discovered that titanium has properties that allow it to naturally fuse into the bone. This is why most implants are made of titanium.
There is a lot to know about dental implants. Implantology is a vast field of knowledge. A lot of research has gone into creating implants that are as safe and sturdy as the ones you can get today.